By: Kelsey Logan
It seems like disasters are happening more and more frequently today. What would you do if your home were suddenly ripped apart by a tornado? Or every surface covered in 3 inches of mud? When tragedy strikes, wfla has our members in mind and wants to help. That is why beginning this month wfla has a new benefit to assist members who have been affected by disasters. The Disaster Relief Benefit can be used for personal loss due to flood, hurricane, earthquake, wildfire, or tornado. The benefit is up to $500 to pay for out-of-pocket costs. See below for more requirements. To apply, go to: http://www.wflains.org/images/Disaster%20Relief%20Benefit%20App.pdf
Disaster Relief Benefit
“Out-of-pocket” expenses means gross expenses incurred less reimbursement from any relief agency or insurer. A “flood” is defined as an overflow of natural rivers, lakes, and streams.
This benefit shall in no case exceed $500 per year for any family, regardless of the number of calamities sustained by that family and regardless of the number of benefit members owning the same damaged personal property.
The following regulations shall apply to the Disaster Relief Benefit.
- Completed application for this benefit, with accompanying loss verification, must be received at the Home Office within 180 days of the date of the disaster damage.
- On approval of the Management Team, the benefit shall be paid to the member of the certificate when the loss has been sufficiently substantiated.
- No insured members under the age of 18 may be eligible for this benefit.
- The Disaster Relief Benefit does not include landscaping costs of any type, nor the replacement cost of grass, trees, shrubs, or plants.
- The Disaster Relief Benefit does not cover damage resulting from water which enters a building due to sewer backup or sump pump failure.
- Must be a member of Western Fraternal Life Association for two years to receive benefits.
Fraternal Benefits – General Rules
- This Fraternal Benefit shall take effect on January 1, 2013.
- All decisions as to the eligibility of any applicant and/or the amount of any grant shall be determined at the sole discretion of the Management Team of Western Fraternal Life Association and shall be final as to all interested parties.
- No representation or undertaking shall be given by any officer or employee of the Association as to the eligibility of any member seeking this benefit or to the amount of any grant that may be made.
- No grant will be made except upon receipt of an application signed by the member, or in the case of the member’s prior death, by the member’s beneficiary; the application shall be in such form as the Management Team may approve.
- The Management Team shall have full authority to determine the manner in which all administrative acts required by these rules and regulations are to be carried out.
- This is a non-contractual benefit. The Board of Directors reserves the right to change, modify or discontinue this benefit or its provision at any time without prior notice.