We had our April showers and now it is time for some May Day flowers! People around the world celebrate May Day in many ways. Some deliver May Day baskets full of goodies to their friends, and in some cases whole towns celebrate the first day of May. Just in case your town doesn’t celebrate this occasion, we would like to give you a few craft ideas that can be done with items found around the house.
- Small Paper Plate
- Large Paper Plate
- 6 colors of construction paper
- Black paint/ Black Ink
- Glue/Double Sided Tape
- Set out your six pieces of construction paper.
- Smear some paint onto the large paper plate. (only if you are using paint)
- Press your hand and fingers onto the paint/ink.
- Make a hand print on the first piece of paper. (repeat this step on all papers)
- Let your hand prints dry while you wash your hands.
- If you plan to hang up your creation, you will want to punch a hole in the plate first.
- Once they are dry you will want to cut out around your hand. You can make these any shape or size you would like. But remember they are the pedals of the flower.
- Turn your small plate over.
- Place a small bit of glue, or a small strip of double sided tape at the bottom front of each hand print pedal.
- One by one, flip the pedals over and stick them to your plate. (If using glue, you will want to let that dry before you handle it.)
- The options are endless after it is dry. Some ideas are:
- Candy Dish
- Door Hanger
- Gifts for family and friends
May Day Baskets
- Solo Cups (1 per basket being made) + 1 for a scoop
- Paper Punch
- Large Bowl
- Pipe Cleaners (1 per basket being made)
- Flower Stickers (or the stickers of your choice)
- Popped Popcorn (varies on amount)
- Variety of candies (Varies on amount): M&M’s, Skittles, Mini Candy Bars, Etc.
- With your hole puncher, you will punch two holes in each cup, directly across from each other.
- Stick one end of your pipe cleaner through one hole. Bend one inch of it up and twist the small piece to the large piece. (repeat this step on the other side)
- Take the stickers you have chosen and place them around the outside of the cup.
- In the large bowl you will want to mix all of your food products.
- With a cup that you have not put a handle on you will want to take one large scoop of mixture and pour it into your cups with handles.
- Now you have your May Day baskets ready for friends and family to enjoy.
This is a fun fraternal activity that can be enjoyed each May. Many lodges do activities like this for their communities and other members. Check out our Lodge locator to find a lodge near you! And for some extra fun, download the May Day word search.