The Education and Charitable Foundation hosted the eighth annual Golf Outing Fundraiser on June 13, 2014. On that beautiful day, 64 golfers headed out to try their luck on the course. The course had three specialty prize holes, two Holes in Ones and closest to the pin. The Hole in One challenges were far too difficult for the golfers as no one was able to win the $1,000 cash prize from Millhiser Smith or the $10,000 flooring makeover sponsored by Randy’s Carpet of Cedar Rapids. The closest to the pin, which golfers paid $5 to enter, was won by Dick Larson. Dick won an overnight stay at the Marriot in Cedar Rapids. The two longest putt contests were won by golfers Mark Elsinger and Kevin Paulsen.
Thank you to all the golfers and sponsors who came out to support the Education and Charitable Foundation again this year. Over $7,300 was raised to help support the Charitable Foundation. If you are interested in supporting Western Fraternal Life’s Education and Charitable Foundation, contact Jack Minder at 1-877-935-2467 ext. 113 for more information.
The Western Fraternal Life Education and Charitable Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. It was formed to allow individuals to make tax-deductible donations to provide financial support toward the continued education of Western Fraternal Life members and to support charitable purposes.
Today, many young people feel a financial burden when applying for college. Applying for and receiving a scholarship from wfla is one way to get help. See below for rules and eligibility requirements for wfla’s national scholarship.
Western Fraternal Life Association is pleased to award 25 National Scholarships for its eligible members.
Applications can be found on our website: http://www.wflains.org/scholarships.html or by calling 1-877-935-2467.
Scholarships include the following:
- One Four-year Academic Scholarship, $1,000 per year for a total of $4,000
- Two $1,000 Scholarships to either Community College or Vocational/Trade School
- One Community Involvement Scholarship, $1,000
- One Non-Traditional Student Scholarship, $1,000
- The applicant must be a wfla member must be in good standing for at least two (2) years prior to the application deadline.
- Members are eligible to win a four-year scholarship only once.
- The four-year scholarship applicant must show proof of a cumulative GPA 2.0 or C average each year.
- Members who receive a $1,000 scholarship are eligible to win the scholarship twice for a total of $2,000. Members must apply each year.
- Applicant must be accepted or attending as a full-time student at a College/University or Vocational/Technical Institution for an entire school year. A copy of verification must be included.
- Recipients of other wfla scholarships: lodge, district, state are eligible for wfla National Scholarship.
How to Apply:
The following must be received by the Home Office no later than March 1:
- A completed scholarship application form with essay attachment
- High school transcripts
- SAT and/or ACT test scores
- Acceptance letter from a college/university or vocational/technical school, if currently not attending
- College/ university or vocational/technical school transcripts, if currently attending
Click here to fill out the application and print it.
Application and all materials are due: March 1, 2013
Send application and additional materials to:
WFLA, 1900 First Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402